Honorable David J. Reader, Chief Judge of Livingston County Courts
53rd District Court Judges
Honorable L. Suzanne Geddis
53rd DISTRICT COURT is located in Howell with a branch court in Brighton. The court hears the following types of cases:
CRIMINAL - Misdemeanor and Felony matters
- CIVIL - matters are divided into three different categories:
- General Civil (up to $25,000) - cases involving lawsuits between two or more parties seeking money damages.
- Small Claims - Cases where the amount claimed does not exceed a specified amount, As of January 2000, small claims cases could not exceed $5,000. There are no lawyers or juries and no right to appeal.
- Landlord Tenant - Proceedings to recover possession of premises and/or obtain a money judgment.
- CIVIL INFRACTIONS - TRAFFIC TICKETS
- DIVORCE without minor children