General Information Frequently Asked Questions
Livingston County, MichiganAnimal ShelterGeneral Information Frequently Asked Questions
Livingston County
Animal Shelter

418 S. Highlander Way
Howell, MI 48843
Map to our location
Shelter and Administration Phone: 517.546.2154
Fax: 517.546.0232

Non-emergency Complaints - 517.546.9111
Emergencies - 911

Closed for Lunch weekdays: 1-1:30 pm

Animal Viewing Hours:
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
11 am-1 pm., 1:30-5 pm.
11 am-1 pm, 1:30-7 pm
10 am - 3 pm

All Other Business:
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri:

8 am-1 pm, 1:30-5 pm
8 am-1 pm, 1:30-7 pm

General Information Frequently Asked Questions

Click on + for more information
$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
Where is the shelter located, and what are your hours?,

We are located at 418 S. Highlander Way in Howell, Michigan 48843.  We are in the county’s west government complex on the corner of Grand River and Highlander Way, on the west end of Howell, south of M-59.  The complex houses the Sheriff, jail and court system.  We are on the far end of the horseshoe drive, up against the railroad tracks. 

We are open 6 days a week, Monday through Saturday and closed on Sunday. Our hours are as follows:
We close for lunch 1-1:30pm Monday -Friday
​Monday, Wednesday, Friday:8 am – 5pm
Tuesday and Thursday:8 am – 6pm
Saturday:11 am – 3pm

If you want to adopt, please arrive after 11 am in order to give our staff enough time to clean the shelter and no later than 4:30 pm.
To view a map of our location, please visit our Contact Us page.
What types of payment do you accept, and do you offer payment plans?,
We accept all major credit cards, except American Express.  We also accept Debit cards, checks, and cash. We do not accept “Credit Care” cards.
We do not have payment plans, you are expected to pay in full when the service or adoption is completed.
How many dogs am I allowed to own?,

Please check with your local municipality. There is no state law regulating pet ownership however most cities, villages and townships have their own limits on the number of pets allowed per household.  Most municipalities allow three per household, but you must call to confirm what is allowed where you live. Please be aware that having more than four dogs in a house may require a special permit depending on why you have the dogs (ie., breeding, boarding, grooming, etc.). You can read about the process to obtain a kennel license here.

My pet is sick, can you treat them?,

No, our staff veterinarian only treats shelter animals. For vaccines, declawing and microchips and other services, please visit a veterinarian in your area.

I can’t afford pet food, can you help me?,

We rely on donations to feed the animals at the shelter but occasionally are able to assist. Please contact the Pet Food Pantry available in Livingston County if you need help feeding your pet.  You may call Gleaners 313-923-3535 or MHS at (517) 552-8050 for more information about this program.

I saw a cat stuck in a tree or a dog out on the ice, who should I call?,

Call 911 for Animal Control assistance or your local fire department. Livingston County Animal Shelter does not have a ladder or other types of safety equipment necessary for these types of situations.