AFTER the wedding ceremony, the original copy of the marriage license must be returned to the County Clerk's office for recording. Pursuant to MCL 551.104, the marriage license must be returned within 10 days of the ceremony. The couple will keep the duplicate copy of the marriage license as a souvenir copy, but it is not valid for legal purposes. Certified copies can be purchased and used for legal purposes.
- A certified copy cost is $15.00 for the first and $5.00 for each additional. Most couples order two certified copies.
- You can order in person by filling out a request form. The copies will be printed at that time.
- You can also order on-line here. Pay with a credit or debit card and the copies will be mailed to you.
To change your name on a Social Security card, you may visit one of their branch offices, or print the form to submit by mail: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
You will need a certified copy of your marriage license to include in the mailing, but it will be returned to you. If you visit a branch office to apply, you will also need a certified copy of the marriage license. Please check with the Social Security Administration on their website or at a branch office
for current guidelines and requirements. To change your name on a Driver's License or State ID
, visit a Secretary of State branch office and present:
- Your valid driver's license or state ID card;
- Proof of the name change (certified marriage license).
You may change your name to your married name in the formats allowed by the Michigan Secretary of State. Please check with the Secretary of State on their website or at a branch office for current guidelines and requirements. A fee will be charged to correct or amend your name and a new photograph will be taken. If your driver's license or state ID card is due to expire within a few months, you may choose to renew it early. Visit the Secretary of State online portal for further information at http://www.michigan.gov/sos.