Birth Certificates are confidential records and copies may be issued only to the person to whom the record pertains, a parent named on that record, heir, legal representative, or legal guardian of that individual. Anyone else must obtain an order from the Circuit Court or some other court of competent jurisdiction (MCL 326.16)
The birth must have occurred in Livingston County as all birth certificates are recorded in the county where the birth occurred.
To Obtain Birth Certificates
ID REQUIRED FOR BIRTH CERTIFICATE ORDERS
To protect you from identity theft, we require a copy of valid photo identification, i.e. driver's license, state ID.
Birth Certificate requests received in-person are provided the same day. To request a birth certificate in person at the Vital Records County Clerk's Office you must:
- show your current valid driver's license, state ID or passport
- completed the request form Birth Certificate Request Form
- payment in cash, check or credit card* (*additional fee applies) (see "Fees" section below for more information)
To request a birth certificate by mail you must:
- include completed form Birth Certificate Request Form
- you must photocopy the front and back of your current valid driver's license, or state ID identification and send with your request
- include payment of cash or check (see "Fees" section below for more information)
- include a stamped, self-addressed envelope
- requests submitted by mail are processed within three (3) business days, and you should receive your copy(s) in seven (7) to ten (10) business days
- the address that is on the submitted valid identification MUST match the address that we are mailing the record to
Fees: One copy of a record is $15.00. Persons age 65 years of age or older shall be charged a fee of $7.00 for a search and one certified copy of his or her birth record.
Additional copies of the same record ordered at the same time are $5.00 each. Please send a check or a money order payable to: Livingston County Clerk.
The fee to search for a record for an unknown year is an additional $15.00