County Drains

County Drains

To report flooding, please call (517) 546-0040. You will be directed to indicate if you are calling about an emergency. Staff will be notified immediately of emergencies. Non-emergency voicemails will be addressed the next business day. Please don't use email for emergencies.

The Livingston County Drain Commissioner has maintenance jurisdiction on approximately 400 miles of open (ditch) and enclosed (pipe) drains. While this sounds impressive, county-maintained drainage represents only 2 - 3 % of county drainage systems. Our Office employs a Drain Maintenance crew and owns a variety of equipment for drain related construction activities. (Additional equipment is rented by us on an as needed basis.)
Drain projects are divided into 2 categories:
Maintenance Activities - May be performed by our Drain Maintenance Crew or may be subcontracted to a local contractor, depending on the project scope.
Petitioned Projects - Require the request of a local unit of government or the signatures of landowners on a petition to begin. Petitioned Projects involve the use of an engineer to draw construction plans and may require acquisition of easements as well as public hearings, or the use of contractors.

Injury Or Property Damage Due To County Storm Drain System

The following references Public Act 222:
An individual who has been injured or has suffered property damage as a result of a county storm drain system must provide written notice of the event within 45 days after the date the damage or injury was discovered. Written notice must include the following:
  • Name, address, and phone number of the claimant
  • Address of the affected property
  • Date of discovery of any property damages or physical injuries
  • Brief description of the claim
Failure to comply with the new reporting requirements will result in a denial of the claim, per Act 222 of Public Acts of 2001.