Residential SESC Permits

Residential SESC Permits


PLEASE NOTE that due to installation of new permitting software, there will be NO PERMITS PROCESSED or ISSUED from January 16, 2018 through January 19, 2018.  We will be able to accept applications for review, but no permits/waivers will be issued and no monies will be accepted during this time frame.  Please plan your permitting needs around this changeover.  

We will be live with the new system beginning on January 22, 2018.  Please be patient with us in the coming months as the staff adjusts to the new software. 

In general, a Residential SESC Permit is required for construction of a single family residence or other earth disturbance, including pools and pole buildings, if the work is conducted within 500 feet of surface water (i.e., lake, stream, pond, swamp, wetland, or county drain) or the disturbance is an acre or more. 

Residential Permits/Waivers are not required for:
  • Installation of decks that include construction of posts only and no additional earth disturbance will occur
  • Above-ground pools where no additional earth disturbance will occur

To obtain a permit, an application is required and must be signed by both the applicant and the landowner. A permit fee will be determined upon submitting the application for a permit. The size of the earth disturbance and risk for erosion will determine the permit type and fee. A copy of the site plan and the township’s or village’s Land Use Permit must accompany each application. Fees must be paid at the time of application. Exception: Green Oak Township, and the Cities of Brighton and Howell do not issue Land Use Permits. If it is determined that the site work would require a waiver, the waivers would still require a land use permit and a site plan. An affidavit will need to be signed at the counter.

Silt Fence must be erected and inspected prior to permit issuance. Silt fence determination will be made at the time of application.


What is the difference between a Soil Erosion Permit and Waiver