Mercury

Mercury

Mercury is a naturally occurring element found in the earth’s crust. It comes in many forms. Elemental or metallic mercury is a shiny, silver-white metal and is liquid at room temperature. When dropped, elemental mercury breaks into smaller droplets, which can go into small cracks or become attached to certain materials. At room temperature, elemental mercury can evaporate to become invisible, odorless toxic vapor. Other forms of mercury you can’t see, like the kind in certain types of fish that you eat. This type of mercury is called methylmercury.  Visit "Eat Safe Fish" to learn more about the mercury in fish.  Exposure to high levels of mercury vapor is harmful to health. 



 Common Mercury Sources

    thermometer.jpgMercury switch.jpg
  • Compact flourescent light bulbs (CFL's) and other speciality bulbs (i.e. black light, tanning, neon) contain mercury.
  • Glass thermometers containing the silvery-white liquid. These include oven, candy, and meat thermometers.
  • Mercury thermostats are unlikely to break or leak, but should be properly disposed of when being replaced. 

 EPA Mercury in Your Environment

 MDHHS Mercury and Your Health

 Mercury Spills

Liquid-Mercury.jpg

  • If mercury spills in your home, call LCHD Environmental Health 517.546.9858. 
  • If after business hours, call Poison Control 800.222.1222 or 911.
  • For proper disposal of mercury containing products, call LC Solid Waste 517.545.9609.