Mold

Mold

Mold is found virtually everywhere -- both indoors and outdoors.  Everyone is exposed to some amount of mold on a daily basis without harm. However, exposure to high concentrations of indoor mold can cause health problems. When airborne mold spores are present in large numbers, they can cause allergic reactions, asthma episodes, infections, and other respiratory problems for people.
There are currently no federal or state standards or regulations for judging what are an acceptable quantity of mold. This is mostly due to the variation of individual sensitivity. The presence of various types of mold at various levels will affect people in a variety of different ways. People who are extremely sensitive or allergic to molds are likely to react much more severely than a person with no known allergies. 

LCHD does not usually recommend testing for mold simply because there are no standards to measure against. Typically, if mold is present in a home, it is there because there is a source of moisture (i.e., historical or current leak, inadequate ventilation, too much moisture in the air, etc.).  Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling the moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in the home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but do not fix the water problem, then the mold will most likely grow back.
 
LCHD does not perform mold investigations or provide testing services for individual residents or businesses. However, LCHD is available to assist the general public with their concerns and/or questions regarding mold, effects of mold, mold growth and prevention. LCHD also has numerous educational handouts and informational resources available to the public at no charge. Visit the links below or contact LCHD for more information.
 
Additional Resources for Mold