Youth and adults with disabilities have
abilities and talents like everyone else.
The Abilities Alliance would like to organize the community to provide
collaborative opportunities to youth and adults as well as address the many
challenges that may exist in our community.
One key area this workgroup would like to address is to change the
conversation from “disabilities” to “ABILITIES”. There are many great things happening in our
community now but this workgroup will seek to organize opportunities in areas
like housing, transportation, employment, recreational, family support and
fun. The primary goal is to increase understanding, reduce stigma and provide
Workgroup Goal(s): To ensure individuals are first seen with abilities and are given similar
opportunities to be active in our community. The key areas that will be addressed are:
- Create a method of communication for all individuals; ensure individuals have information about opportunities in many ways.
- Increase understanding and reduce stigma
- Education assistance
Support and partner with the schools on expanding opportunities
- Employment assistance
Expand employment options based on abilities/interest
Work with employers in our county
- Social and Recreational Activities
Ensure barriers are addressed to be part of the community events and support other events that are identified
- Identify gaps and needs that interfere with people with disabilities accessing and being included in our community.
- Increase community recognition of gaps and needs.
- Educate the community, through providing/sharing information about opportunities/events that mindfully include all.
- Recognize community partners who demonstrate a value of people of all abilities.
Abilities Alliance 2018 Directory.pdf
AA Workgroup Charge 2019 FINAL.pdf
Success of the Abilities Alliance depends upon the ongoing commitment of Livingston County organizations, businesses, officials, local government and residents. Together they work to ensure all county residents are represented and gaps are addressed
To learn more about the Abilities Alliance, please contact Anne Rennie at firstname.lastname@example.org