Youth and adults with disabilities have
abilities and talents like everyone else.
The Abilities Alliance would like to organize the community to provide
collaborative opportunities to youth and adults as well as address the many
challenges that may exist in our community.
One key area this workgroup would like to address is to change the
conversation from “disabilities” to “ABILITIES”. There are many great things happening in our
community now but this workgroup will seek to organize opportunities in areas
like housing, transportation, employment, recreational, family support and
fun. The primary goal is to increase understanding, reduce stigma and provide
To ensure individuals are first seen with abilities and are given similar opportunities to be active in our community.
- Create a method of communication for all individuals; ensure individuals have information about opportunities in many ways.
- Increase understanding and reduce stigma
- Education assistance
Support and partner with the schools on expanding opportunities
- Employment assistance
Expand employment options based on abilities/interest
Work with employers in our county
- Social and Recreational Activities
Ensure barriers are addressed to be part of the community events and support other events that are identified
- To improve community-based program offerings
for individuals with Livingston County.
- To develop a marketing campaign in our county
to increase understanding and change the conversation regarding
individuals with disabilities.
- To fill gap and need areas in services/supports for
individuals in conjunction with other HSCB workgroups when applicable.
- To gain a working understanding of available
funds/resources and what can be covered, so gaps can be identified and
- To build relationships and meet with legislators to
help them understand the unique abilities of individuals in our community.
Abilities Alliance 2018 Directory.docx
To learn more about the Abilities Alliance, please contact Anne Rennie at firstname.lastname@example.org