The partners of this workgroup, under the oversight of the Livingston HSCB's Funding Partners Workgroup, have formed a collaboration with the Southwest Michigan Children's Trauma Assessment Center to improve outcomes for children who have experienced trauma and their families. The mission, goal and outcomes for this undertaking are as follows:
"Creating a system of care that recognizes trauma and its impact in order to better meet the needs of children and families in Livingston County."
Goals of Workgroup
Introduce and embed trauma informed knowledge and practices that are culturally competent, evidence supported/based, and responsive to the needs of traumatized children and their families, targeting change at three levels:
- System change
- Service delivery
- Child & Family outcomes
- Infuse a trauma informed perspective into decision-making policies and practices of major child-serving systems including law enforcement, legal, child welfare, human services, mental health and education.
- Expand community awareness of and responsiveness to the needs of traumatized children and their families.
- Infuse a trauma informed perspective into direct service (e.g. casework, assessment, therapy) and caregiving practices (e.g. with biological parents, kinship care, foster parents, adoptive parents).
- Improve collaboration between professionals (e.g. attorneys, caseworkers, therapists & court officials) based on a common language and shared understanding of traumatic stress.
- Expand community resources to address the needs of traumatized children and their families including:
- Trauma Informed assessment practices
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Real Life Heroes
- Resource Parent Training (Train the trainer)
- Improve child welfare outcomes, including:
- Child Safety
- Placement stability
- Community reintegration
- Academic achievement
- Reduced child trauma symptoms
Success of the Trauma Informed System of Care is dependent upon the ongoing commitment of Livingston County organizations, schools, businesses, officials, courts, local government and residents. Together they work to ensure all county residents are served and gaps are addressed.
Please contact Amy Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of current members.