The Michigan Crime Victim Compensation Act was begun to give financial help to crime victims who are hurt or lose earnings or support because of the crime. Victim Assistance will be able to help with any questions you might have. Applications may be received from our office.
To Receive Compensation:
- You must be a resident of the state of Michigan.
- The crime must have happened in the state of Michigan.
- The crime must be reported to the police within 48 hours and the victim must cooperate with the investigation.
- You must have a $200 out-of-pocket medical expense and/or a loss of two continuous weeks of earnings or support.
- The claim must be filed within 1 year of the crime or 1 year after the death of the victim.
- In the case of death, a claim may be filed by a family member.
- Expenses or losses that are covered personal insurance or that can be paid by another source will not be covered.
- PROPERTY LOSS IS NOT COVERED.