Gun Registration and Concealed Pistol License
Livingston County, MichiganSheriffGun Registration and Concealed Pistol License
Livingston County Sheriff's Office
150 S Highlander Way
Howell, MI 48843
(517) 546-2440
(517) 545-9627
Emergencies: Call 911
Tip Line:
(517) 546-8477
Business Office Hours:
7 am - 7 pm
7 am - 5 pm
Livingston County Jail
(517) 546-2445
(517) 546-1800
Email: Sheriff's Office

Gun Registration and Concealed Pistol License

Firearm ownership is a great responsibility. You must take the appropriate measures to safeguard your welfare, as well as the welfare of others, when handling a firearm. Accident prevention is the user's responsibility.

Pistol Purchase Permits

  • Pistol purchase permits can be obtained at our office Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M. until 4:30 P.M.


To legally own and use a firearm, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be at least 21 years of age, or you must be at least 18 years of age if you are purchasing the firearm from a relative.
  • If you have ever been convicted of a Felony, you will not be eligible.
  • If you have any criminal cases pending against you or old cases without a court disposition, you will not be eligible.
  • If you have any court orders that state you may not purchase or own a firearm, you will not be eligible.
  • You must present valid picture identification showing your current address. We will not accept expired identifications.

Purchase Permits

Purchasing A Firearm From A Dealer:

  • Any gun that is 26 inches or less is required to be registered in Michigan. If you purchase a gun from a gun dealer, you will need to bring the Licensing Authority copy of the Pistol Sales Record to us by dropping it in the black box outside our building or mailing it to us. You have 10 days to bring the pistol sales record to us from the day that you purchase it.

Purchasing A Firearm From An Individual:

  • If you are purchasing a handgun from an individual and you have a valid Michigan CPL, go to the Michigan State Police website to fill out the Pistol Sales Record (RI-060) form. Print off the form, get the appropriate signatures, and drop off or mail the Licensing Authority copy to us so that we can register the gun.

  • If you are purchasing a handgun from an individual and you do not have a valid Michigan CPL, please come into our office to obtain a Pistol Purchase Permit. Your permit is good for 30 days from the time it is issued, and you have 10 days to drop off or mail the Licensing Authority copy back to us once the purchase is made.

Inheriting A Firearm From A Relative

  • An inherited gun is treated the same as if you were purchasing from an individual. The next of kin or representative of the estate must sign as the seller. To legally take possession of an inherited gun, you must obtain a pistol purchase permit from our office if you do not have a Michigan CPL. If you have valid Michigan CPL, you can simply go to the Michigan State Police website and fill out the Pistol Sales Record (RI-060) form and return a copy to our office.

New Michigan Resident

  • If you moved from out of state, you must have your firearms re-registered in the State of Michigan.

Transporting Your Firearm 

Without a Concealed Pistol License, you are limited to transporting your pistol, unloaded, in a locked container, in the trunk of a vehicle only under the following circumstances:

  • Enroute to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
  • Transportation from the place of purchase to your home, place of business or place of repair.
  • In moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.

If your vehicle does not have a trunk, the weapon may be transported in the passenger compartment for the above purposes, provided that it is unloaded, in a locked case and not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

Hunting With A Firearm

  • When hunting with a pistol, the pistol must be carried in a holster or belt in plain view, on the outside of your clothing, unless you have a Concealed Pistol License for hunting or a non-restricted Concealed Pistol License.

Concealed Pistol License

  • The CPL Application and CPL fingerprints are all done through the Livingston Country Clerk's Office. They can be reached at (517) 546-0500 and are located in the Historical Courthouse at 200 E Grand River in Howell.