Abuse And Neglect
Livingston County Sheriff's Office
150 S Highlander Way
Howell, MI 48843
(517) 546-2440
(517) 545-9627
Emergencies: Call 911
Tip Line:
(517) 546-8477
Business Office Hours:
7 am - 7 pm
7 am - 5 pm
Livingston County Jail
(517) 546-2445
(517) 546-1800
Email: Sheriff's Office

Abuse And Neglect

How to File a Complaint

The legal responsibilities of owning a pet

The State of Michigan requires ALL dogs over 4 months to be current with a rabies vaccine and to have a Michigan dog license. There are no laws in Michigan regarding cat ownership. However, abuse and neglect of any domestic animal is subject to criminal prosecution.

How is pet ownership determined?

By law, you are considered the owner of a pet if you have possessed, housed and cared for, or been in charge of a pet's care for more than 7 days.

What should every animal be provided with?

  • Food and water at all times. If an animal is being kept outside, they should also have shelter.
  • If a dog is tied outside, the tie must be at least three times the length of the dog from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.
  • Every animal must have appropriate veterinary care.

State Law

Michigan Criminal Code 750.50 outlines crimes against animals. Listed are some key, simplified points of the code. The below is for educational purposes only:

  • "Adequate care" means the sufficient food, water, shelter, sanitary conditions, exercise, and veterinary medical attention in order to maintain an animal in a state of health.
  • "Neglect" means to fail to sufficiently and properly care for an animal to the extent that the animal's health is jeopardized.
  • "Sanitary Conditions" means space free from health hazards including excessive animal waste, overcrowding of animals, or other conditions that endanger the animal's health.
  • "Shelter" means adequate protection from the elements and weather conditions suitable for the age, species, and physical condition of the animal so as to maintain the animal in a state of good health. Shelter for livestock, includes structures or natural features such as trees or topography. Shelter, for a dog, includes a doghouse that is an enclosed structure with a roof and of appropriate dimensions for the breed and size of the dog. The doghouse shall have dry bedding when the temperature is or is predicted to drop below freezing.
  • "State of good health" means freedom from disease and illness and in a condition of proper body weight and temperature for the age and species of the animal.
  • "Water" means water that is suitable for the age and species of animal that is made regularly available

What happens if the law is violated?

Someone who viloates the law can be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by one or more of the following; a fine, imprisonment, or community service and may be ordered to pay the costs of prosecution.

 Abuse / Neglect FAQ

$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
I think someone is abusing or neglecting their pet. What should I do?,

If you have a legitimate animal welfare complaint, please call Central Dispatch's non-emergency line at 517-546-9111 to file a complaint. You must have the address of the location where the alleged abuse is taking place so our Animal Control Officers can investigate. Your first complaint can be anonymous, but we will require that you give your name in order to submit additional complaints.

What does Animal Control do when they get a complaint about a pet owner?,

​Animal Control Officers will visit the pet owner and speak to them or leave them a notice to call Livingston County Sheriff's Office / Animal Control Division if no one is at home. Our officer will talk with the owner and investigate the nature of the complaint and request to view the animal if necessary. 

Depending on the nature of the complaint, our officers may educate the owner on responsible pet ownership. If the complaint is about a dog, our officers will educate the owner about Michigan dog laws and make sure that the animal has a valid dog license.

Depending on what the officer finds, the owner may be issued a warning or a ticket. If the investigation reveals serious abuse or neglect, we may prosecute the owner. The penalties for abuse and neglect vary. Tickets range from $195 and up, while prosecution for abuse or neglect could result in jail time.

My neighbor is an animal hoarder, what can I do?,

​Hoarding is a form of neglect. If someone is trying to care for a large number of pets or thinks they are caring for them, and the animals are suffering due to neglect, you can call Central Dispatch's non-emergency line at 517-546-9111 and request that an officer investigate the situation.

Do not get involved in the situation or confront your neighbor. Instead, please try to give our officer as much information as possible, including a phone number where they can reach you if they have further questions.

Hoarding animals usually indicates that a person is hoarding other items as well. This typically results in unsanitary living conditions for humans and animals. If there are minor children present in the home, we will contact the proper authorities.