Benefits for Survivors/Dependents
Livingston County, MichiganVeterans ServicesBenefits for Survivors/Dependents
Veterans Services
2300 E Grand River Ave, Suite 109
Howell, MI 48843
Map to our location
Monday – Friday
8am - 5pm
Walk-ins 8am - 4:45pm
Closed from 12:00 P.M. to 1:00 P.M. for lunch and County Holidays
Phone: 517.546.6338
Fax: 517.546.0942

Email Veterans Services

Benefits for Survivors/Dependents

Photo of young military familyFor a full list of benefits and services please see the official VA website at:

 U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits

$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
Survivors Pension,

The Survivors Pension benefit, which may also be referred to as Death Pension, is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to a low-income, un-remarried surviving spouse and/or unmarried child(ren) of a deceased Veteran with wartime service.  Please see the VA website for additional information and eligibility.

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC),

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a tax free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of military Service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease. For additional information and eligibility please see the VA website.

Home Loans,

VA helps Service members, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners. As part of our mission to serve you, we provide a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing-related programs to help you buy, build, repair, retain, or adapt a home for your own personal occupancy.  For more information and eligibility you can go to the official VA website at

VA Education Benefits,

You may be eligible for VA education benefits for dependents and survivors.  If you're a dependent spouse or child-or the surviving spouse or child-of a veteran, you may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits or job training through a GI Bill program.  For more information please visit the official VA website at

Health Care,

​If you're the spouse, surviving spouse, dependent child, or family caregiver of a veteran or service member, you may qualify for health care benefits.  In certain cases, you may also qualify for health care benefits due to a disability related to your veteran's service.  For more information please visit the official VA website at

VA Help to Avoid Mortgage Foreclosure,

​The VA will provide financial counseling-even if your loan isn't a VA direct or VA-backed loan.  If you are late with your mortgage payment, or think you might be late, contact your loan servicer right away.  Or, if you would like assistance, please call 1-877-827-3702 or visit the VA official website at

Burial in a VA National Cemetery,

​Both the veteran and dependents may be eligible for burial in a VA National Cemetery.  For more information visit the official VA website at

 State and County Benefits

$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
Emergency Financial Relief,

Emergency Financial Relief may be available to veterans/dependents who are in a short term financial crisis.  Veteran/dependent must meet criteria and provide evidence that they will be able to financially sustain themselves once crisis has been addressed.  Please call our office at (517)546-6338 for details and qualifications.

County Burial Allowance,

Survivors of veterans may be eligible for a one time payment if deceased veteran's total estate does not exceed $40,000.  Please contact our office at (517)-546-6338 for details.

Child Care Financial Assistance,

​Veterans/spouses may qualify for financial assistance with child care while going back to college or training.  Please call our office for more information.  Click below for our policy on Child Care Financial Assistance.

Child Care Policy last update 6.17.19.pdf

Mental Health Assistance,

​Veterans and dependents may qualify for supplemental therapy and/or life coaching.  Please call our office at (517)546-6338 for more information and eligibility.

Flag Box,

Our office supplies flag boxes for service flags of deceased veterans.  Call our office at (517)-546-6338 for more information.


$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
Replacement DD-214,

Replacement DD-214's can be obtained at  or for assistance, call our office at (517)-546-6338.  

Replacement Medals and Awards,

​Replacement Medals and Awards can be obtained at or for assistance, call our office at (517)-546-6338

Employment Assistance,

​Our office works closely with MichiganWorks! and local companies to assure our veterans and spouses obtain quality jobs.  Please call our office at (517)-546-6338 to make an appointment for employment assistance.

Veterans Compensation Benefits Rate Tables,

Click below for official, up to date, pay rates.