$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
How do I get a copy of my discharge papers or DD214?,

There are several ways to request a copy of your discharge papers.  You can request a copy from The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by filling out Standard Form 180 (SF180) and mailing or faxing it to the address on the form or by using the online request form at www.archives.gov. 

You can also request a copy of your discharge papers from the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs if they have a copy.  You should call to verify with them prior to making your request.

Veterans may file a copy of their discharge papers with the county clerk’s office when they are discharged.  If you did this, you should call that county clerk’s office and ask if there is a copy on file.

Do I need an appointment?,

It is advised that you call and make an appointment; however, we do take walk-ins, from 9 am-4:00 pm Monday – Friday, if there is a counselor available.

How do I get a “Veterans’ ID”?,

Please see the Veterans ID page

Do I qualify for the Disabled Veterans Tax Exemption ?,
  • You qualify if:
    • It has been determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to be permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service and entitled to veterans' benefits at the 100% rate.
    • It has a certificate from the United States veterans' administration, or its successors, certifying that he or she is receiving or has received pecuniary assistance due to disability for specially adapted housing.
    • It has been rated by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs as individually unemployable.

How do I get to/contact the VA Medical Center in Ann Arbor?, (734) 769-7100

2215 Fuller Rd. Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Do you help veterans find jobs?, Generally we refer job seekers to the Veterans’ Service Division at the Michigan Workforce Development Agency (MI Works).  But feel free to call us or stop in to look at our job posting board for opportunities!

Zachary Frazier
517-841-5633 ext. 64258

How do I get a grave site flag and flag holder for a deceased veteran?,
  • The veteran service organizations (VFW, American Legion, DAV, etc) in the county place the flags and holders at the grave of deceased veterans for Memorial Day. 
  • Grave Etiquette
    • Memorial Day is the only day when flags can be used to decorate military graves, according to National Cemetery Administration Directives. The flags can be placed by relatives of the soldier, by veteran's groups such as the American Legion or by members of the community. The flags should be small and attached to a short flagpole. Follow the practice used at Arlington National Cemetery by placing your flag in a central position one foot in front of the soldier's grave marker.
  • Removal
    • Flag etiquette dictates that the Stars and Stripes only flies during daylight hours. The flag is customarily lowered at sunset. However, National Cemetery Administration Directive 3220 allows for flags to be displayed on military graves in Veteran Administration National Cemeteries from the weekend before Memorial Day until "shortly" afterward. If you place a flag on a grave for Memorial Day, be sure to remove it soon afterward to avoid it being damaged by bad weather or being removed by those caring for the cemetery.
I need a ride to the VA Hospital. Can you help?,

The Livingston County Department of Veterans' Services does offer transportation to the VA Hospital and private hospitals for Livingston County residents.  Call the office to inquire about receiving transportation.

Do you have wheelchairs/walker/shower chairs?,
  • Please call to see about availability.
  • Some generous residents have donated wheelchairs for veterans. Upon request we will provide a donated wheelchair to a veteran or the dependent of a veteran at no charge.  When the wheelchair is no longer needed we will come and pick it up so it can be used by another veteran in need.
  • We also have walkers and shower chairs that are used in the same manner.